ICAO English Language Proficiency Test
In accordance with EASA standards: PART-FCL
The ICAO Language Proficiency Test – ICAO English exam – is mandatory for all pilots and students in training who are flying outside the country where they are native speakers. The International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) has introduced language proficiency requirements for air traffic controllers and pilots with the objective to improve the level of language proficiency globally and reduce the frequency of communication errors.
The aim of the ICAO Language Proficiency Test is to verify the applicant’s language skills in the following areas:
- General and aviation English vocabulary.
- Use of flight phrases.
- Reading, understanding and translation of technical publications (eg Pilot’s operating handbook).
- Understanding aviation recording and ability to explain topic in own words.
- Ability to respond correctly to simulated communication between ATC and pilot.
- Ability to understand ATIS, METAR and TAF weather forecasts.
- Reading and understanding NOTAMs, including explanation of the full text of the abbreviations used.
The ICAO Language Proficiency Test takes 25 – 45 minutes.
Levels of language proficiency and its validity
- ICAO LEVEL 4: 4 years
- ICAO LEVEL 5: 6 years
- ICAO LEVEL 6: Unlimited Permanent
ICAO Language Proficiency Test dates and prices
BLUE SKY AVIATION announces regular exam dates once a month . Individual dates are possible outside the announced dates.
The price of the exam is stated in the exam schedule.
Preparation course for ICAO Language Proficiency Test
Applicants for the ICAO Language Proficiency Test have the opportunity to take a preparation course. We offer two different courses:
- Intensive 3 hour “refresh” of ICAO English. The course immediately precedes the ICAO English exam.
- ICAO Aviation English course in the lenght of 10 individual hours (only instructor and student). More information here.